Saturday, August 26, 2006

T H R O U G H


Last weekend, there was an annual Balloon Fest in town. I learned about this not through local media (the paper is quite dreary and a day behind); not through the community calendar online (which is woefully out of date), or through the newspaper's online edition (since it's only a portion of the actual paper). There is not a local television station for news events, and while there is a college radio station, it's not often listenable. As for having public event notices, I've not listened enough to find out.

I learned about the balloon festival by stepping outside on Friday morning to go to work, and hearing an overhead whoosh sound. When I looked up, I saw some hot air balloons floating over the city. It was all a bit exciting. Later at work, in the print edition of the newspaper, I read about a website, where I could find a schedule of events. The festival was ongoing from Friday through Sunday.

On Saturday, rain was forecast, so it was the perfect day to go find a gradual neutral density filter and adapter for my camera. Except the closest camera shops are in Toledo, an hour away. I spent the day, then, running errands out of town. When I got back, it was still raining, so I naturally took a nap, planning to go to the Balloon Fest on Sunday.

Come Sunday, around 12:30, I packed up my camera, hopped on my bike, and headed to the Balloon Fest to shoot some photos. I arrived to find about 20 kids playing soccer - and nothing else. No sign, other than an ironic signboard, that the festival had been there in the first place.

results for: through
–preposition
1. During the whole period of; throughout: They worked through the night.
2. Having reached the end of; done with: to be through one's work.
3. To and including: from 1900 through 1950. or, in this case, August 18 through August 20.

How foolish I was to assume "August 18 through 20!" meant that this included activities occuring on Sunday, the 20th......!!

No comments: