Sunday, August 13, 2006

Perseid Meteor Showers.....happening now!

Today is August 13th, and I just read that we're in the middle of the Perseid metor showers this year. Unfortunately, I also learned the peak of activity was to be last night!! But, activity should last through most of August, and I plan on figuring out how to capture long exposures on my digital SLR, and try my luck and shooting some stars.

From NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) site, complete with great links and photos:
While the Perseid meteor shower is scheduled to peak this weekend, bright light from an almost full Moon will also flood the night and mask the majority of relatively faint meteors. Still, skygazing in the evening before the Moon rises (before about 10 PM local time) could reveal spectacular earthgrazing meteors. Persisting even later into the moonlit night can reward northern hemisphere watchers looking for occasional Perseid fireballs.

Happy stargazing!

No comments: