Friday, August 03, 2007

Price Gouging

Price Gouging can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. We heard threats of this but not necessarily much action in this regard (despite record profits in the oil and gas biz, despite the rising cost of oil). I have, however, found a postcard example of price gouging: the rental car industry.

If for some reason you opt not to purchase the tank-fill option, and return your rental car with less than a full tank of gas, you can be charged from $7 to $8 a gallon for the rental car agency to fill it for you (despite the price at the pump being $3 at the time of my experience). That is more than 250% above market price. Granted, I filled my tank before returning my rental, but have some difficulty in perceiving this pricing strategy as anywhere near fitting within the parameters of "legal". Just curious if any one else has observed such obscene pricing strategies.

1 comment:

jkirlin said...

Yes!! I'm being charged almost 3 bucks per gallon! ;)