Monday, June 26, 2006

A Shangri-La

Oringal post: June 23, 2006:
I've recently become a flickr member. I love this website. There are so many groups of photo types - lately, I've been addicted to the global communities. Which got me to thinking.

I live, now, in a small rural town in the midwest. I haven't done that since I was a wee one. But, I decided to do so because the project I'm working on and many of the people I work with are quite interesting. I put a time limit on this project though, because I know I can't live here forever. I've got a couple of years to put in.

Then I thought some more. About the perfect place for me. It would have to have the following qualities:
  • diversity: I have learned I cannot live in a town/city of just one type of people
  • diversity, part ii: ditto above, but replace "people" with each of the following: "restaurants, grocery availability, culture, political affiliation, and opionion base"
  • landscape: can't handle the flat
  • weather: needs to have 4 seasons
  • wilderness: needs to have proximity; easy access
  • airport proximity
  • an environmental/ecological culture apparent, even if just barely
  • humidity: not so much.
  • cultural scene
  • economic health: either stable or in recovery mode, at a minimum, but not through the roof (ie, unaffordable)
Now, if only there were some sort of metadata portal I could plug these and maybe some other factors into, I'd be set. If you happen to know of such a tool, please send it my way.

UPDATE!!! I've found a website that allows you to indicate your preferences on a broad number of topics, from education to crime to environment to culture. And, while Denver's not at the top of this list for me (comes in at #2), it's close enough!

No comments: